Paramount Odeon, Liverpool - England
1934 - 2011
|Read more at|
The 70mm Newsletter
|Written by: Mike Taylor, The 65/70mm Workshop & Former projectionist - Paramount / Odeon
a Todd-AO cinema. Image Mike Taylor|
With the demise of the Paramount / Odeon on London Road, the final link with
the "Golden Age of Hollywood" has gone.
Opened in 1934, it was one of several Paramount theatres across England.
With a seating capacity of 2670, it was the largest cinema in Liverpool city
centre. Sold in 1942 to the Odeon Circuit of the Rank Organisation, it
continued as a single screen cinema up to 1968.
During the Widescreen Era, it was the first cinema in Liverpool to install
CinemaScope (1954) for 20th Century Fox's film "The Robe".
was installed (1958) and opened on Boxing Day of that year with
"South Pacific". Being the leading cinema in Liverpool at that time it became
the home for all future 70mm "Road Show" presentations for the Rank
|More in 70mm reading:|
Mike Taylor joins
DP70s in England
Streets of Liverpool
Paramount in all its Todd-AO glory. Image Mike Taylor|
In 1968, the Odeon was split into two auditoria. The prestige Odeon One
upstairs with Philips DP70 projectors, and the more modest Odeon Two
Cinemeccanica Victoria 8 projectors. It was interesting to
have two 70mm screens in such a building. During the 1970,s the cinema was
split further to make five screens, and prior to closing had been converted
This once magnificent movie palace was smashed to pieces to accomplish this
multiplex. However, it did escape the undignified conversion into a "Digima"
so we can be thankful for that. But alas, it is now just a memory and a heap
|Go: back - top - back issues - news index|