“In the Picture” in 3-strip Cinerama - Scripted
|Read more at|
The 70mm Newsletter
|Written by: Dave Strohmaier||Date:
Scripted Locations TBD see location sheet -
locations subject to change depending on availability:|
Revised 1-5-11 Cinerama Locations and set ups:
HOLLYWOOD HILLS SCENIC OUTPOST OVERLOOK 2 1/2 hours
1. Car pulls up couples get out then return to car and leave.
2. WA of cityscape as couple arrives (OTS) in frame to look at city.
3. MED WA angle showing the Dome theater (separate day 2nd unit POV).
4. MED on Actors as they look at the view.
5. MED inside mini van as they (OTS) pull out.
GRIFFITH PARK MERRY GO ROUND 3 1/2 hours
1. WA Merry Go Round as couples (OTS) enter frame-and exit.
2. MED on Couples as they look to the ride.
3. Couple enters (OTS) at Merry go round & buy tickets.
4. Disney plaque- Walt and daughters,idea for Disneyland.
5. They get on Merry go round and ride starts.
6. Their Cinerama POV as the ride goes round (camera on ride).
GRIFFITH PARK OBSERVATORY 3 hours
1. WA Couples (OTS) into frame walking with observatory in BG (three domes).
2. They enter frame and walk to the edge of the viewing overlook, also exit.
3. POV city off to the left vast LA area, hiking trails.
ANGELS FLIGHT RAILWAY 3
1. Pan down from a tall building to our couple walking (OTS) to ride.
2. MED railway entrance Couples in profile as they get into a tram car.
3. Inside the tram car they sit and ride starts.
4. Moving POV of the tracks from the front of the car.
5. They exit the tram at the top.
SAN PEDRO HARBOR BRIGANTINE Full day/travel 9 hours
Set ups: (inserts of sailing crew may be shot on a separate shoot)
1. WA Establish Brigantine ship as couples (OTS) arrive.
2. MED ship tied up as we dolly with couples to gang plank.
3. Sailing crew prepare to leave dock.
4. MED more activity orders are given.
5. Couples arrive at the wheel with the captain.
6. MED. Ship starts to leave the dock (angle from the dock).
7. MED angle from the ships bow ship is further into the harbor on its way
8. MED ship crew trims some sails.
9. MED some insert shots of ships activity as she sails.
10. Beauty shot of the ship at sea (from another boat).
OPTIONAL MONTAGE SHOTS: 4 hours -small crew
Catch as catch can quick set ups shots of LA with minimum crew
(“steal” shots if possible)
1. WA Santa Monica Pier and Pacific Ocean
2. WA Watts Towers
3. WA Disney Concert Hall or Music Center
4. MED DeMille Laskey Barn Museum
ARCLIGHT CINEMAS & DOME *2 ½ hours Morning / 1 hour evening
1. *WA EXT the Arclight open air plaza, couple enters doors.
2. *MED INT dolly shot as couples arrive at box office for tickets.
3. MED (EXT from Sunset) The Cinerama sign as our couples arrive at the Dome
4. *MED INT dolly shot in lobby as the ticket taker greets couples .
5. *MED INT as our couples settle into their seats w/popcorn.
6. *POV INT of Ceiling and projection booth port windows.
7. *Same as #5 as couples react to curtains closing over them.
8. *Sunday morning shoot with 150 volunteer extras for free screening)
FORWARD MOVING POVs FROM CAMERA CAR 4 hours
1. Winding down Griffith Park roads & thru tunnel.
2. Winding up Griffith Park roads to Observatory.
3. Hollywood & Highland past Chinese Theater.
4. LA Freeway & under bridges various areas (under crank?).
Total of about 44 set ups
3 Dolly shots
4 Camera car POVs
2 Interior minivan - 1 interior tram - 5 interiors at Dome/Arclight
maybe 5 hours of overall travel
total 48 hours shot in 6-7 days - shooting spread over a period of 35-50
days weather contingent.
|More in 70mm reading:|
CINERAMA 2012 - First day of shooting "In
“In the Picture” in 3-strip Cinerama -
Cast & Credits
"In the Picture" - Now
in70mm.com's Cinerama page
|Go: back - top - back issues - news index|