"The Master" in 70mm Cast & Credits
a new film in 65mm by Paul Thomas Anderson
|Read more at|
The 70mm Newsletter
|Written by: -||Date: 16.09.2012|
|65mm negative clip from "The Master" - reversed to positive. Image by Paul T Anderson, and made available for in70mm.com by Cigarettes and Red Wines web site|
"The Master (2:18).
Written and Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Exec. Producer: Adam Somner, Ted Schipper. Producer: Paul Thomas Anderson, JoAnne Sellar, Daniel Lupi, Megan Ellison. Co-producers: Albert Chi, Will Weiske. Production Co.: Annapurna Pictures. Screenplay: Paul Thomas Anderson. Cinematographer: Mihai Malaimare, Jr. Editor: Leslie Jones, Peter McNulty. Sound: Michael Semanick, Christopher Scarabosio, Matthew Wood, Mark Ulano. Music: Jonny Greenwood. Prod. Designer: Jack Fisk, David Crank. U.S. Distributor: The Weinstein Company. Music supervisor, Linda Cohen; Set designer: John P. Goldsmith; Set decorator, Amy Wells; Costume designer: Mark Bridges; Sound (Dolby Digital/Datasat), Mark Ulano; Supervising sound editors, Christopher Scarabosio, Matthew Wood; Sound designer, Scarabosio; Re-recording mixers, Michael Semanick, Scarabosio; special effects coordinator, Michael Lantieri; senior visual effects supervisor, Dan Glass; visual effects supervisor, Gregory Liegey; visual effects producer, Andy Foster; visual effects, Method Studios; stunt coordinator, Garrett Warren; assistant director, Adam Somner; casting, Cassandra Kulukundis.
Filmed in: 65mm, 5 perforations, 24 frames per second. Principal photography in: Panavision System 65. Presented in: Panavision Super 70 in selected theatres with _._ track Datasat _-track digital stereo. Aspect ratio: 1,85:1.
"The Master" was shot with a Panaflex System 65 Studio Camera. It was framed for 1.85:1. 80% of the finished film is in 65mm. The remaining 20% is shot in standard 35mm. The reason for using both film formats was a creative choice. The 65mm film stock used was Kodak 5201 (50ASA)
Country of origin: USA. Production year: 2012 World Premiere: 01.09.2012, Venice Film Festival, Italy. US premiere: 14.09.2012, Los Angeles and New York.
A Weinstein Co. release and presentation of a Joanne Sellar/Ghoulardi Film Co./Annapurna Pictures production.
Freddie Quell - Joaquin Phoenix
Lancaster Dodd - Philip Seymour Hoffman
Peggy Dodd - Amy Adams
Helen Sullivan - Laura Dern
Variety reviewed the film at Venice Film Festival, Sept. 1, 2012. (Also in Toronto Film Festival -- Special Presentations.) MPAA Rating: R. Running time: 136 min.
|More in 70mm reading:|
"The Master" in 70mm Release
Motion pictures photographed in Super Panavision 70 & Panavision System 65
Now showing in 70mm in a theatre near you!
The 70mm Rumour Mill
"The Master" on the web
Film Home page
Cigarettes and Red Wines
Guide to 70mm
The Master Wiki
|A striking portrait of drifters and seekers in post World War II America, Paul Thomas Anderson’s "The Master" unfolds the journey of a Naval veteran, Freddie (Joaquin Phoenix), who arrives home from war unsettled and uncertain of his future until he is tantalized by The Cause and its charismatic leader, Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman). Amy Adams plays Dodd’s wife, Peggy.|
02 Time Hole
03 Back Beyond
04 Get Thee Behind Me Satan – Ella Fitzgerald
06 Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree (With Anyone Else but Me) – Madisen Beaty
07 Atomic Healer
08 Able-Bodied Seamen
09 The Split Saber
10 Baton Sparks
11. No Other Love – Jo Stafford
12 His Master’s Voice
13 Application 45 Version 1
14 Changing Partners – Helen Forrest
| || |
|Go: back - top - back issues - news index|