Looking for Grauman Chinese's DP70s
|Read more at|
The 70mm Newsletter
|Written by: Kurt
Los Angeles, researcher Kurt Wahlner is looking for information on the
installation dates for the 3 Norelco DP70s
the theatre had for many years. He is researching a page on projectors and
sound systems for his Grauman's Chinese
fan site. A
friend and him are trying to piece together the history of all the
projection and sound systems for the Chinese over the years, and there have
been a good number. They are under the impression that few theatres like the
Chinese has had so many projection swaps. If you stand in one spot at the
Chinese, just about the entire motion picture history goes by.
They need your help though, as they don't know when the 3 DP70s might have
gone in. Here is the chronology as they have it so far:
• 1927: 3 Powers 6B's as original equipment
• 1930: 3 Super Simplex installed for "HELL'S ANGELS"
• 1930: (probably 2) Grandeur 70's for
"The Big Trail"
• 1937-38 3 Simplex E-7's installed sometime?
• 1953: 3 Simplex XL's with Mag Penthouses installed for "THE ROBE"
• 1958: 3 Centuries installed for
"Windjammer" - possibly one
Simplex XL left upstairs to show "Prologue"
• 1959: Norelco's installed for "AUNTIE MAME".
• 2003: 1 DP70 and Christie Cp2000 2K DLP installed in time for "THE LAST
• 2013: 2 IMAX 2K Digital downstairs / 2 4K Christie Projectors upstairs
The theatre has had an amazing number of projection systems over the years,
and Kurt is trying to obtain pictures and information on all of them. The
Cinemiracle film "WINDJAMMER" played there of course, so three
Cinemiracle Century projectors were in the booth at that time. But once
"WINDJAMMER" closed at the end of 1958, it wasn't until mid-1961 that
the Chinese hosted its first 70mm presentation of the Grandeur 70 re-issue
of "THE KING AND I".
So when were the DP70s installed?
If anyone has any details on this installation or on any of the systems
employed at the Chinese Theatre's projection booths (all 5 of them), please
contact Kurt Wahlner
|More in 70mm reading:|
DP70 / Universal 70-35 / Norelco AAII
- The Todd-AO Projector
in 70mm in Los Angeles, CA, USA
70mm cinemas in
format and 70mm Films
|Go: back - top - back issues - news index